RESIDENT GOVERNMENT E-SERVICES
Definition: Any new installation of electric, heating and air conditioning requires a permit. Replacing light fixtures, switches or electrical boxes does not unless it requires relocation of wiring behind the walls.
Air handlers and other mechanical equipment cannot be situated in the required yards (setback).
When you apply for an electrical or mechanical permit, the application will automatically be routed to Zoning for review. Please be sure you have checked your required yards for your zoning district.
Please note the most common reason for delay with this type of permit is failure of applicant to provide one of the following:
- Manufacturer’s specifications for mechanical equipment
- Diagram of ventilation system
- Diagram of wiring
Applicable Building Codes
All construction work must conform to the requirements of the following codes
- 2009 International Building Code (IBC)
- 2009 International Existing Building Code (IEBC)
- 2009 International Plumbing Code (IPC)
- 2009 International Residential Code for One and Two-Family Dwellings (IRC)
- 2009 International Electrical Code (IEC)
For simple projects you can view the ICC Codes online at no charge here.
Standard Inspection Requirements (if applicable to your project):
- Footing and foundation prepour (forms in place before concrete is poured)
- Concrete slab and or backfill
- Rough plumbing, water service, mechanical, and gas
- Rough electrical (third party selected from our list)
- Rough framing, fire resistance, fire separation
Drawing Requirements available here
Application Checklist - Please note that we are providing this checklist to assist you in submitting drawings and an application package that will provide enough information for us to understand your proposal and determine if it meets the building code. Failure to provide the needed information will delay your permit.
Permit Application and Review Procedures
- Applicant completes Building and Zoning Permit Application and Checklist. Residential applications require 2 complete sets of plans (site, architectural, mechanical, plumbing, structural, & electrical as needed).
- Applicant delivers completed signed application, signed completed checklist, and 2 copies of all plans to Borough Building and Zoning Office.Make sure you have the proper type, i.e. residential or commercial. All applicable portions of the permit should be filled in. If you are unsure about the applicability of a question, please ask at the time of submittal. Plans must be complete, identical, legible, to scale, and stapled together as two separate sets.
- All applications will be checked at the counter for completeness. If any of the required information, plans or checklist are missing, the building permit application cannot be accepted.
- When you come in to file the application, we will determine permit fees. A fee schedule is available here. Payment must be made for application to be accepted. We will need a separate check for escrows.
- Permit review is conducted once a week. Incomplete applications and plans will be returned to applicant. If the plans are incomplete, inaccurate, or un-clear, a correction letter will be sent to the applicant. This will require re-submittal of the corrected construction documents and cause a delay in issuing the permit.
- We will contact you in writing with the results of the plan review.
- You may start your project when you receive the permits. Note that it is your responsibility to schedule all inspections. Inspections must be scheduled 48 hours in advance.
Important: Your permit cannot be closed without a final inspection. Escrow will not be returned until the final is complete.
Residential Building Permits Package (three documents) includes plumbing, mechanical, electrical etc.
The information provided in this guide is intended only to assist individuals in understanding the code requirements. It is not a complete recitation of the code. Property owners should consult the Doylestown Borough Code of Ordinance for answers to specific questions.
< Back to Resident Government E-Services